Skip to main content

Pumpkin Everything!!! - How to eat a Pumpkin Spice Doughnut and still lose weight

We had the best time in Utah and Idaho visiting our kids and grandbabies!!! Our trip was filled with all the must dos, fun times, and of course all our favorite foods.

What do you think of when you think about going on a trip? Do you picture going to your favorite restaurants? Maybe stopping at all the yummiest nostalgic food places that your family loves?

We do too!!!

And guess what, on our trip to visit our kids, we did just that. we went out to eat, we ate our favorite foods, and we enjoyed every moment of the trip!

As you might know, I am obsessed with doughnuts. I am a little picky, or if you ask Mark I'm a lot a bit picky about doughnuts, but really, almost any donut is my biggest guilty pleasure. And let me be clear, I don't give up doughnuts while I'm dieting. Nope! I work them into my diet just like everything else I eat.

This is at the heart of flexible dieting and counting your Macros, (macronutrients, ie. carbs, fats, and protein), and is the type of eating for losing weight that Mark and I have used on our own weight loss Journey and now we teach our clients to do as well.

So, let's break it down. Let's say that I have been craving a pumpkin spice doughnut for days. I make a conscious decision that I want to use some of my macronutrients allotment on a delectable doughnut. I find the fat, carb, and protein count for said doughnut and then I track it in My Fitness Pal first thing in the morning. Then, as I eat the rest of my food for the day and track the food I have consumed, I already know that the doughnut will be accounted for.

Think of Macros and Flexible Dieting like a bank account.You are allotted a certain amount of calories in the form of Fats, Carbs, and Protein. You can choose to spend that how you want.

Some days you choose to spend the money in your account on necessities to keep the lights on so to speak. Other days you choose to have some of the money in your account go towards a new pair of shoes or a night at the movies with your friends. Either way, the choice is yours to make on how the money is spent.

Just like a bank account, some days you will spend your macros on nutrient dense foods that will keep the lights on. Other days you will decide to spend your macros on things that aren't filling but fill a craving. Either way, it's your choice on how you spend those macros and that my friends is the power of macros and how you can eat doughnuts while on vacation and still lose .8 of a pound.

Yep, I just said that. I went on a 2 week holiday and I spent my maintenance level macros on good foods and fun foods. I ate well and didn't deprive myself while making conscious choices about fueling my body with the needs AND the wants.

The last 8 months of macro counting has given me so much power and freedom! I used to obsess over every "bad" morsel that I chose to eat. Now, foods have no intrinsic value placed on them. I eat what I feel like eating and I don't stress about good and bad.

If only I had this knowledge 20 years ago...but then again, I couldn't be here sharing all of this with you without having experienced the pain first. Hopefully the things I share give you hope for your own relationship with food and dieting and being your healthiest.

We are starting our next 8-week weight loss challenge on October 21st! We will teach you all about macros, fitting fitness into your life, and changing your mindset for permanent result. Registration ends Sunday night October 20th at midnight. Click here to join and get started on the journey that will help you take a vacation and not gain 10 pounds!!!

Becky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Third Weigh In

So, I have had another great week . I even allowed myself pizza one night, and with yesterday being fast Sunday I had all my points at dinner time so we made orange chicken. Mmmmmmm! I love that stuff. So, I am so happy to say that I have lost exactly 1 pound this week. Ya!!! Mark lost 1.8 pounds . Way to go Mark!!! I think we are doing well. Probably the hardest part is today. Whenever there is a celebration I want to eat. It is a hard bad habit to break. I am trying to find something else to do to celebrate my birthday. Maybe I will get out something creative to do. Well, happy birthday to me 1 pound is a great present.

Jillian and Preschool

I couldn't post about everyone else starting school without adding Jillian to the list. She LOVES school. I think mostly it has to do with the fact that she is incredibly bored at home when all the kids are gone at school. So, we enrolled her in the Doeremi preschool that my cousin is doing and she gets to go 3 days a week! Wow, is she excited!!! So here she is ready for school this morning. I can't believe that she is my baby.

Rachael Sneek Peek Senior Portraits