Skip to main content

For the Loathe Errr, Ummmmm, I mean Love of Planks!

I have such a love hate relationship with planks! I wondered for years why they were always on the list of todos for my personal trainers and now that I'm a personal trainer, I get to be the bearer of bad ahem, I mean good news. The good news is that planks can be one of the best full body core strengthening, shoulder strengthening, mvp's of the game. So as much as we love to hate them or hate to love them, they are part of my fitness plans as well.  

I have only recently advanced from knee planks to elbow planks. After carrying 6 children on my 5 foot 1 1/2 inch frame, and not understanding the importance of core and stability, my back and core are so weak and it has taken me months to be able to do a plank without back strain. So my motto and the motto I now give to you is Form over fashion!!! It doesn’t matter how “cool” you look, if you aren’t ready for the exercise you will injure yourself and then set your progress back!

If you have a weak back please modify until you have strengthened your core enough to do more advanced moves.

We are in this for the long haul so let’s take it slow and steady for long term success!!!

Correct form for a plank.
1. Shoulders dropped and back
2. Elbows underneath shoulders
3. Engage core, hamstrings and glutes
4. Hold for 30-60 seconds and repeat 2-5 times.

You don’t need fancy equipment for this and it is a powerful full body exercise that will give you huge results!

Do planks before you hop in the shower a few times a week and in 4 weeks you will be amazed at your newfound core strength!

*If this exercise puts any strain on your back or pelvic floor in any way, if you have a new baby, or really weak core from having babies then there are better exercises for you to start with to build up your core and your pelvic floor before attempting the plank. We will go over those soon.

Make sure you sign up for our Healthy Eating Guide for busy women and keep watching because announcements and giveaways will be happening soon!!!

♥ Becky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Family Pictures

We had the funnest silliest adventure today. We decided that since Rachael's braces are off and Mark and I have lost a few pounds that it would be a great time to take our family pictures. I have seen some really cool looking pictures done at the salt flats so we took a drive out there. Yep, 2 hours later, after making a 20 min. past our destination detour, having to stop at the only gas station in the middle of nowhere for a bathroom trip, and just as the sun was going down over the mountain we pulled up. The couch was very quickly unloaded and then in a very hasty 10-15 min. We sat, posed, and pushed the button to take our picture over and over again. It was such a good time with all of us laughing and enjoying every minute of the warm light and family bonding. Please note that these pictures are straight out of the camera and I have not edited them yet. Even with that being said, I LOVE them!!! It is just what I was envisioning. Once editing is done I think they will be quite ...

Questions Answered, Questions Created

Today was Mark's appointment with the pulmonologist at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I wish I could say that we came away with answers, good or bad, but instead Mark and I just feel confused. We got to the appointment about 15 minutes early which gave us plenty of time to fill out the piles of paperwork. As we were filling out the paperwork we noticed a sign that was posted with the names of each of the doctors and whether each of them were on time or not. According to the sign our doctor was right on time so after finishing the paperwork we sat back expecting that we would get in within a few minutes. Well, a few minutes turned into a half hour, which turned into an hour plus. Finally they called us back to our room and the nurse assured us that the doctor was just writing up a couple prescriptions for the previous patient and then he would be right in. Of course right in meant another 20 minutes or so. The doctor finally came in and proceeded to ask us questions about Ma...

A Story Good Enough for Halloween?

I have a story to tell. I should have told it a month ago in preparation for Halloween but alas, I didn't think to write about it until tonight. So, if you are ready for something spooooky then sit back and enjoy. When I was a little girl living in Northern California my parents chose a house for our family to live in that was, at first inspection, perfect for us. It was a traditional English Tudor style, 2 story house with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a living room, dining room, large pantry, and a large kitchen/eating area. There were large picturesque windows in every room that looked out over the vast undeveloped rolling hills that were right out our back door. The house was surrounded by large oak trees and a quaint brick path that led from the street up to our doorway. Our family was happy there. One bedroom for the girls, one bedroom for the boys, an office for dad, and a large master bedroom for our parents. Everything was perfect except for one major factor. There...