Skip to main content

The Reason I DID NOT boycott Neighbor Gifts This Year...


This video is about the gift our Savior is to each of us. It is a beautiful reminder of what Christmas is supposed to be about. So, for those of you who are LDS and have seen the video a thousand times you know of which I am going to say. Let me expound though.

In the last several years I have boycotted neighbor gifts.  Don't get me wrong, I have gratitude, and love the effort that my neighbors have put into each of their thoughtful gifts.  I loved the creativity of my Graphic design friend, or the divine homemade Andes mints we would receive from another friend. We were truly loved and spoiled. However, a few years ago, as I started ramping up for the season and the stress involved in making the most creative, or delicious, or out of the box gift that I could come up with,  I realized that something that was supposed to be a joy had become expensive, and time consuming, and stressful! I started adding up the money used to give gifts to people on my street and then pondered on the one thing that was most important...my Savior. I was so caught up in the most "Perfect Holiday" that I had lost sight of the Savior's Gift to me.  I had lost sight of the "why" of the season.

I'm sure I am not alone in this struggle. Back when our grandmothers started all the traditions that we carry on, they did not have the hectic pace that we live in today. We as women are trying to achieve something that leaves us drained of our essential energy; the energy that we need to do the most important thing like nurturing our family and furthering the Lord's work! I had a friend comment to me once that the Christmas season exhausted her so completely that she ended it needing a vacation from friends and family alike. Is that the message that we are supposed to be sending as disciples of Christ?

So, what did I do? I scaled back. Baking became minimalist, I didn't do neighbor gifts. Decorating got done early or not at all, and we started making memories as a family instead of buying stuff for Christmas.  Oh, and the money I saved from having the "Perfect Christmas"? It got put to a much better investment; people in need. Our family started picking families in the area that were in need of help and then gave back.  It wasn't just monetary need though, we prayed about, and chose families that had needs of all different kinds. Suddenly my Christmas had more meaning again. I didn't spend the whole holiday shopping, I baked a couple of times to carry on traditions, and I found other times during the year to show my neighbors how much I loved them.

Well, fast forward a few years and now instead of living in Utah (the most friendly and outgoing place I have ever lived!!!) I live in Florida, where my neighbors are all extremely quite and reclusive. It has been a long time since I have lived in a community that was so socially awkward, and I am pondering again what my mission and my purpose is at Christmas time.  For all of us who are Christian, our purpose is to share the gift of our Savior.  We have been commanded in the scriptures to spread the good news. This is the reason I love the video that our church put out for the holiday season.  The message is universal, Share the Gift. Okay, so I need to obey that commandment we have been given and what better way than to rescind my previous decision to boycott gifts, and get back to spreading the good news.

Let's be honest though, I kept it simple.  I chose to give something that doesn't take too much time away from other things, isn't very expensive, and as you can see, gives me the opportunity to #ShareTheGift. The response has been great from our neighbors. One in particular exclaimed that he finally had real neighbors! :D Only one person turned on the porch lights, quieted the barking dog, and didn't open the door.  Not really sure what that is about...but at least our neighbors now know who we are (finally), and know what we stand for.  I challenge whoever is reading my blog to take the time to share the gift of our Savior's birth and find the joy that this season really does have to offer. I challenge you to be less busy, and more happy.

Comments

Sara Lyn said…
What a great reason to give!

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Family Pictures

We had the funnest silliest adventure today. We decided that since Rachael's braces are off and Mark and I have lost a few pounds that it would be a great time to take our family pictures. I have seen some really cool looking pictures done at the salt flats so we took a drive out there. Yep, 2 hours later, after making a 20 min. past our destination detour, having to stop at the only gas station in the middle of nowhere for a bathroom trip, and just as the sun was going down over the mountain we pulled up. The couch was very quickly unloaded and then in a very hasty 10-15 min. We sat, posed, and pushed the button to take our picture over and over again. It was such a good time with all of us laughing and enjoying every minute of the warm light and family bonding. Please note that these pictures are straight out of the camera and I have not edited them yet. Even with that being said, I LOVE them!!! It is just what I was envisioning. Once editing is done I think they will be quite ...

Questions Answered, Questions Created

Today was Mark's appointment with the pulmonologist at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I wish I could say that we came away with answers, good or bad, but instead Mark and I just feel confused. We got to the appointment about 15 minutes early which gave us plenty of time to fill out the piles of paperwork. As we were filling out the paperwork we noticed a sign that was posted with the names of each of the doctors and whether each of them were on time or not. According to the sign our doctor was right on time so after finishing the paperwork we sat back expecting that we would get in within a few minutes. Well, a few minutes turned into a half hour, which turned into an hour plus. Finally they called us back to our room and the nurse assured us that the doctor was just writing up a couple prescriptions for the previous patient and then he would be right in. Of course right in meant another 20 minutes or so. The doctor finally came in and proceeded to ask us questions about Ma...

A Story Good Enough for Halloween?

I have a story to tell. I should have told it a month ago in preparation for Halloween but alas, I didn't think to write about it until tonight. So, if you are ready for something spooooky then sit back and enjoy. When I was a little girl living in Northern California my parents chose a house for our family to live in that was, at first inspection, perfect for us. It was a traditional English Tudor style, 2 story house with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a living room, dining room, large pantry, and a large kitchen/eating area. There were large picturesque windows in every room that looked out over the vast undeveloped rolling hills that were right out our back door. The house was surrounded by large oak trees and a quaint brick path that led from the street up to our doorway. Our family was happy there. One bedroom for the girls, one bedroom for the boys, an office for dad, and a large master bedroom for our parents. Everything was perfect except for one major factor. There...