Skip to main content

Reflecting on Weight

I have now lost a total of 24 pounds. I am down approximately 2 pant/dress sizes. I am feeling really good! Something struck me though that most of you might think is silly but none the less was a major epiphany for me.

I am still the same person.

I have spent the good majority of my adult life hoping wishing and willing my body to be skinnier. I was sure that somehow, when I was a size 4 again, I would be a different person. I was sure that I would be more confidant, more liked, more successful. Yes, I have received many compliments (and no, I am not a size 4 yet) and that always feels good but when all is said and done and I am sitting in the privacy of my own home I realize that nothing has really changed except for the fact that I feel better about how I look. I am still an over achiever, I still take on more than I can handle, I am still overly tired, I still struggle cleaning my bathroom, and I don't have any more friends knocking down my door. Yep, I am still just me. Maybe just maybe I am a great me the way I am though.

I think we heavy people make up stories about how perfect life is for the thin people. We are sure that they have more friends, have more fun, have more confidence, have less trial, have more. Really? Why? Because we live in denial. We think that our struggles come from our weight because maybe it is easier to blame our misery on being fat. Blaming our fat is a tangible something to blame hardship on.

Don't get me wrong, there is much to be said for being thinner. My body feels good. I don't hurt going up the stairs. I have more stamina to get me through the day. I can walk the kids up to their school without getting winded. I fit in my clothes and don't dread going to the store to purchase a pair of pants. Those are definitely good things. But, I am still me. So, like or not, skinny or fat, I am what I am and that isn't going to change. Much.

Comments

Nielson said…
Congrats Becky!! And don't you think there's always something that other people have "easy?" I think it's just human nature, but it's so much happier to accept how Heavenly Father made me to be :) Thanks for sharing :)
Becky, I loved reading this post! I can so relate! And I am going to ditto what Lindsay said cause I really liked that too!
Dione said…
I hope you will always be you and never change! Even when you're an old woman like me! Congratulations on loosing the weight! You've been trying for this for a long time.

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Family Pictures

We had the funnest silliest adventure today. We decided that since Rachael's braces are off and Mark and I have lost a few pounds that it would be a great time to take our family pictures. I have seen some really cool looking pictures done at the salt flats so we took a drive out there. Yep, 2 hours later, after making a 20 min. past our destination detour, having to stop at the only gas station in the middle of nowhere for a bathroom trip, and just as the sun was going down over the mountain we pulled up. The couch was very quickly unloaded and then in a very hasty 10-15 min. We sat, posed, and pushed the button to take our picture over and over again. It was such a good time with all of us laughing and enjoying every minute of the warm light and family bonding. Please note that these pictures are straight out of the camera and I have not edited them yet. Even with that being said, I LOVE them!!! It is just what I was envisioning. Once editing is done I think they will be quite ...

Questions Answered, Questions Created

Today was Mark's appointment with the pulmonologist at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I wish I could say that we came away with answers, good or bad, but instead Mark and I just feel confused. We got to the appointment about 15 minutes early which gave us plenty of time to fill out the piles of paperwork. As we were filling out the paperwork we noticed a sign that was posted with the names of each of the doctors and whether each of them were on time or not. According to the sign our doctor was right on time so after finishing the paperwork we sat back expecting that we would get in within a few minutes. Well, a few minutes turned into a half hour, which turned into an hour plus. Finally they called us back to our room and the nurse assured us that the doctor was just writing up a couple prescriptions for the previous patient and then he would be right in. Of course right in meant another 20 minutes or so. The doctor finally came in and proceeded to ask us questions about Ma...

A Story Good Enough for Halloween?

I have a story to tell. I should have told it a month ago in preparation for Halloween but alas, I didn't think to write about it until tonight. So, if you are ready for something spooooky then sit back and enjoy. When I was a little girl living in Northern California my parents chose a house for our family to live in that was, at first inspection, perfect for us. It was a traditional English Tudor style, 2 story house with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a living room, dining room, large pantry, and a large kitchen/eating area. There were large picturesque windows in every room that looked out over the vast undeveloped rolling hills that were right out our back door. The house was surrounded by large oak trees and a quaint brick path that led from the street up to our doorway. Our family was happy there. One bedroom for the girls, one bedroom for the boys, an office for dad, and a large master bedroom for our parents. Everything was perfect except for one major factor. There...