Skip to main content

A different day one

Monday was so fantastic. I exercised, was showered and dressed before 10, did laundry, cleaned my room, and had dinner cooking by 5 o'clock. What in the world got into me? It is interesting how those things go that one day, you can feel so on top of the world, and then it topples so fast. But, then Tuesday, I was again dressed by 10, took Zach to an orthodontist appointment, grocery shopped, beaded with friends, did homework with the girls, chatted with the neighbors outside, and even started dinner by 6 and grilled pork chops. I know. I nearly fainted myself as I realized my accomplishments.

This leads me to an interesting thing to ponder. I have always been against routine. I'm not really sure why, but I really feel claustrophobic when I look into the future and see myself doing the same thing everyday, day, after day, after monotonous day. So, I tend to go a few days or even up to a week or two doing the same thing, and then it's as if my inner child rebels and I can't handle another second. This, I have decided, is one of my downfalls. Structure is good, and in the eyes of my domestic experiment, a necessary evil. I have decided that I need to learn how to embrace my adulthood and find ways to structure my life in order to accomplish the things that make my family and myself happy.

I wonder often...what do other women do? Do they have laundry Monday, Toilet Tuesday, change sheets Wednesday, etc. etc.? Would this bring order to my life. How do they keep a 2800 sq. ft. home clean on a daily basis? How do they not let one thing go in order to accomplish something different? I think I would like to know these question. Maybe I wouldn't like the answer though. Maybe they spend more time cleaning their houses everyday than I would ever consider exerting time on myself.

If there is any one good thing you can call me it is organized. Look in my cupboards and you will find towels neatly folded, jars lined and facing the front, little containers for like medicines, boxes of buttons and beads, everything in it's place. Still working on having a place for everything though. I just don't know how to cut down on the everyday clutter. My kids do chores and I even adopted the Fly Lady's way of cleaning by splitting my house into zones. It is better than nothing and yet it has somehow not been enough. How in the world to I teach my children to pick up after themselves? My 17 yr. old left a dress shirt and books sitting on my living room floor this morning, my 12 and 9 year old made cards and left supplies sitting on my desk, my 5 year old came home, perused through her backpack and left her piles of paperwork sitting on the couch, and that is just the beginning. Surly there is an answer and I am just missing it. Either that or everyone deals with this and we just can't see the daily pick up routine that goes on in every household every morning...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Family Pictures

We had the funnest silliest adventure today. We decided that since Rachael's braces are off and Mark and I have lost a few pounds that it would be a great time to take our family pictures. I have seen some really cool looking pictures done at the salt flats so we took a drive out there. Yep, 2 hours later, after making a 20 min. past our destination detour, having to stop at the only gas station in the middle of nowhere for a bathroom trip, and just as the sun was going down over the mountain we pulled up. The couch was very quickly unloaded and then in a very hasty 10-15 min. We sat, posed, and pushed the button to take our picture over and over again. It was such a good time with all of us laughing and enjoying every minute of the warm light and family bonding. Please note that these pictures are straight out of the camera and I have not edited them yet. Even with that being said, I LOVE them!!! It is just what I was envisioning. Once editing is done I think they will be quite ...

Questions Answered, Questions Created

Today was Mark's appointment with the pulmonologist at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I wish I could say that we came away with answers, good or bad, but instead Mark and I just feel confused. We got to the appointment about 15 minutes early which gave us plenty of time to fill out the piles of paperwork. As we were filling out the paperwork we noticed a sign that was posted with the names of each of the doctors and whether each of them were on time or not. According to the sign our doctor was right on time so after finishing the paperwork we sat back expecting that we would get in within a few minutes. Well, a few minutes turned into a half hour, which turned into an hour plus. Finally they called us back to our room and the nurse assured us that the doctor was just writing up a couple prescriptions for the previous patient and then he would be right in. Of course right in meant another 20 minutes or so. The doctor finally came in and proceeded to ask us questions about Ma...

A Story Good Enough for Halloween?

I have a story to tell. I should have told it a month ago in preparation for Halloween but alas, I didn't think to write about it until tonight. So, if you are ready for something spooooky then sit back and enjoy. When I was a little girl living in Northern California my parents chose a house for our family to live in that was, at first inspection, perfect for us. It was a traditional English Tudor style, 2 story house with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a living room, dining room, large pantry, and a large kitchen/eating area. There were large picturesque windows in every room that looked out over the vast undeveloped rolling hills that were right out our back door. The house was surrounded by large oak trees and a quaint brick path that led from the street up to our doorway. Our family was happy there. One bedroom for the girls, one bedroom for the boys, an office for dad, and a large master bedroom for our parents. Everything was perfect except for one major factor. There...