Skip to main content

Life hits... are we ready?


We have had an adventurous 24 hours. While I was at school yesterday Rachael called sounding very panicked. Her, let's just say for the sake of the story, boyfriend, Drew (who might I add that we all just love!) was in a snowboarding accident and was rushed down the mountain, in an ambulance, to St. Mark's hospital. He called Rachael en route to tell her not to worry, but honestly how could she not? Such a sweet silly boy. :o)

Drew asked his dad and Mark to give him a blessing so I skipped class, we asked friends for help with the younger girls, and we drove up to the hospital. I am sure that he was anxious to see Rachael and she did such a great job of being strong for him. The initial prognosis was good, he had a small fracture in his L1 vertebrate. The later prognosis was not as good. After getting a CAT scan and looking at the film the specialist told Drew that he was lucky to not be paraplegic. From what I understand (somebody correct me if I am wrong) he shattered the bone and the only thing holding his back together is the tendons on either side.

As his parents finished talking with the doctor, Drew was pretty visibly upset, I teared up, and Rachael was the epitome of strength all the way up until the moment that I started tearing. We held it mostly together up until the moment that we walked back into the waiting room and then of course my sweet baby's tears flowed. It was a tender moment as a mom and dad as we held her tight and reassured her.

Rachael was back at the hospital by 10 this morning and has been there ever since. The doctors are doing everything they can to not do surgery but we will not know for sure if that will be the final outcome for a few more hours. The thing that holds his family and ours together is our faith. Drew was given a beautiful blessing that promised him he would be healed and walk again but was told that it was predicated upon his faithfulness and the faithfulness of those in the room. Such a good reminder to all to rely upon He who gives us all and is so merciful and loving.

Comments

RSCE said…
How scary. Hope he gets better. If Rachael wants somewhere to stay instead of going back and forth she is welcome to stay here, we are really close to there.
Shelly said…
That made me tear up too. My prayers are with all of you. I can't imagine how I would feel if that happened to Jason. Thanks for the reminder to stay faithful.

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Family Pictures

We had the funnest silliest adventure today. We decided that since Rachael's braces are off and Mark and I have lost a few pounds that it would be a great time to take our family pictures. I have seen some really cool looking pictures done at the salt flats so we took a drive out there. Yep, 2 hours later, after making a 20 min. past our destination detour, having to stop at the only gas station in the middle of nowhere for a bathroom trip, and just as the sun was going down over the mountain we pulled up. The couch was very quickly unloaded and then in a very hasty 10-15 min. We sat, posed, and pushed the button to take our picture over and over again. It was such a good time with all of us laughing and enjoying every minute of the warm light and family bonding. Please note that these pictures are straight out of the camera and I have not edited them yet. Even with that being said, I LOVE them!!! It is just what I was envisioning. Once editing is done I think they will be quite ...

Questions Answered, Questions Created

Today was Mark's appointment with the pulmonologist at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I wish I could say that we came away with answers, good or bad, but instead Mark and I just feel confused. We got to the appointment about 15 minutes early which gave us plenty of time to fill out the piles of paperwork. As we were filling out the paperwork we noticed a sign that was posted with the names of each of the doctors and whether each of them were on time or not. According to the sign our doctor was right on time so after finishing the paperwork we sat back expecting that we would get in within a few minutes. Well, a few minutes turned into a half hour, which turned into an hour plus. Finally they called us back to our room and the nurse assured us that the doctor was just writing up a couple prescriptions for the previous patient and then he would be right in. Of course right in meant another 20 minutes or so. The doctor finally came in and proceeded to ask us questions about Ma...

A Story Good Enough for Halloween?

I have a story to tell. I should have told it a month ago in preparation for Halloween but alas, I didn't think to write about it until tonight. So, if you are ready for something spooooky then sit back and enjoy. When I was a little girl living in Northern California my parents chose a house for our family to live in that was, at first inspection, perfect for us. It was a traditional English Tudor style, 2 story house with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a living room, dining room, large pantry, and a large kitchen/eating area. There were large picturesque windows in every room that looked out over the vast undeveloped rolling hills that were right out our back door. The house was surrounded by large oak trees and a quaint brick path that led from the street up to our doorway. Our family was happy there. One bedroom for the girls, one bedroom for the boys, an office for dad, and a large master bedroom for our parents. Everything was perfect except for one major factor. There...