Skip to main content

18! Oh my, I am getting OLD!


Yep, it is official. My oldest daughter is as old as I was when I gave birth to her. Isn't that a little on the FREAKY side?

Rachael is quickly being inducted into the world of adults. She had to go to school early, Stay after school late, and has homework all night. We did cook her favorite meal of Chicken Alfredo, ate ice cream for her dessert of choice, and gave Rachael her present. It was a nice evening even if it was a little on the short end.

Which brings me to my exciting news. I am finished (for now) with Rachael's 18th birthday present. I decided to make her a quilt for her bed. It is a pinwheel quilt and I have to say I LOVE the way it turned out. I still need to have it quilted which will take a couple of weeks, and then I need to bind it, but at least it is ready to be quilted now. I am not going to put up any pictures of it until it is done, I really did impress myself, and, just to make things even more fun...she loved it!

What in the world is happening to my life. Children preparing to leave the nest and children still clinging to the nest. I am getting ready to start college again, and Rachael will be starting college next fall. We could essentially be graduating about the same time. Now that is funny! I am still in denial about my baby being an adult. I think that I will just continue in denial for awhile longer. Really, what harm is there in it right? I mean just because she can excuse herself from HS classes now doesn't mean I have to accept adulthood right? I think I am deciding to go with denial at least until graduation. I know, face up to it you say. Right. Not this girl. No. Not yet!

Comments

Breezy said…
whoooooooooaaaa CRAZY!!!! I am excited to see the quilt! :)
Shelly said…
That is so crazy! I can't believe how much family changes and grows. I think It would be less weird for me if my family was growing too. By that I mean if I had a family. Not that I am complaining I think it just makes it weirder to see everyone else changing when i am not as much. Anyway, that was a tangent. Happy Birthday Rachel! I hope that it was a good one and that mom had fun too!
Dione said…
I'm all for denial! Follow my lead and you will be blissfully ignorant!

Rachael looks so beautiful! I can not wait to see the quilt! You are amazingly talented!
Nielson said…
Wow--I can't believe she's already 18! And you are such a youngin for having an 18 year old! :) Tell her Happy Birthday and I can't wait to see pics of the quilt!

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Family Pictures

We had the funnest silliest adventure today. We decided that since Rachael's braces are off and Mark and I have lost a few pounds that it would be a great time to take our family pictures. I have seen some really cool looking pictures done at the salt flats so we took a drive out there. Yep, 2 hours later, after making a 20 min. past our destination detour, having to stop at the only gas station in the middle of nowhere for a bathroom trip, and just as the sun was going down over the mountain we pulled up. The couch was very quickly unloaded and then in a very hasty 10-15 min. We sat, posed, and pushed the button to take our picture over and over again. It was such a good time with all of us laughing and enjoying every minute of the warm light and family bonding. Please note that these pictures are straight out of the camera and I have not edited them yet. Even with that being said, I LOVE them!!! It is just what I was envisioning. Once editing is done I think they will be quite ...

Questions Answered, Questions Created

Today was Mark's appointment with the pulmonologist at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I wish I could say that we came away with answers, good or bad, but instead Mark and I just feel confused. We got to the appointment about 15 minutes early which gave us plenty of time to fill out the piles of paperwork. As we were filling out the paperwork we noticed a sign that was posted with the names of each of the doctors and whether each of them were on time or not. According to the sign our doctor was right on time so after finishing the paperwork we sat back expecting that we would get in within a few minutes. Well, a few minutes turned into a half hour, which turned into an hour plus. Finally they called us back to our room and the nurse assured us that the doctor was just writing up a couple prescriptions for the previous patient and then he would be right in. Of course right in meant another 20 minutes or so. The doctor finally came in and proceeded to ask us questions about Ma...

A Story Good Enough for Halloween?

I have a story to tell. I should have told it a month ago in preparation for Halloween but alas, I didn't think to write about it until tonight. So, if you are ready for something spooooky then sit back and enjoy. When I was a little girl living in Northern California my parents chose a house for our family to live in that was, at first inspection, perfect for us. It was a traditional English Tudor style, 2 story house with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a living room, dining room, large pantry, and a large kitchen/eating area. There were large picturesque windows in every room that looked out over the vast undeveloped rolling hills that were right out our back door. The house was surrounded by large oak trees and a quaint brick path that led from the street up to our doorway. Our family was happy there. One bedroom for the girls, one bedroom for the boys, an office for dad, and a large master bedroom for our parents. Everything was perfect except for one major factor. There...