Skip to main content

Grand Opening for a Day

My kids love to draw. Art is their passion. The other day Clairissa and Abby decided that they wanted to have a "beauty shop" upstairs in their room. they set all their toys up got out blankets and decorated, and then made a huge poster advertising their shop that said "grand opening, girls only makeover, daycare while you get it done ". The girls even went as far as making signs for when they were opened and closed along with name tags made out of masking tape. Clairissa has a make-up kit and they were going to charge for things like applying eyeshadow 10cents, fingernails painted 20 cents, etc. In the mean time Jillian decided that she needed to participate so she started drawing people all over their poster.


It was all fun and games until Abby got fingernail polish on her nice shirt that you see here in the picture. Then yesterday, when I was putting Jillian to bed, I noticed a small spot of polish on Jillian's baby blanket that I made her. Momma aint happy no more! Needless to say that after giving them strict guidelines about keeping the make-up and polish out of the bedroom and off of the blankets, rules weren't followed, and I have officially nixed the girls makeover store. It was a fun thought while it lasted though. In fact, I think the preparation was the funnest part of their whole project.

Comments

Nielson said…
That is so cute! Wow--Jillian does some great people drawing!!! And that stinks about the nail polish stains! Sometimes moms just have to ruin all the fun... :)
At least it was fun while it lasted. My girls love to put make up on and do each others nails. One day Rylee was painting her nails dark blue and the polish fell on the floor and splashed all over my tile and curtains. It came off the tile with some polish remover (and it took the sealer off the tile as well) and do you think it came off of the curtain?..of course not!
Sue Nuhn said…
Why is it children's creativity often come with a high price? One of my "favorite" memories of Mark was his attempt at making a tent. I had just made two quilts for the twin beds in his room and he tried gluing the edges of the quilts together. I asked him why he did that and he said, "I thought it was such a good idea!" Glue back then didn't come out either.

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Family Pictures

We had the funnest silliest adventure today. We decided that since Rachael's braces are off and Mark and I have lost a few pounds that it would be a great time to take our family pictures. I have seen some really cool looking pictures done at the salt flats so we took a drive out there. Yep, 2 hours later, after making a 20 min. past our destination detour, having to stop at the only gas station in the middle of nowhere for a bathroom trip, and just as the sun was going down over the mountain we pulled up. The couch was very quickly unloaded and then in a very hasty 10-15 min. We sat, posed, and pushed the button to take our picture over and over again. It was such a good time with all of us laughing and enjoying every minute of the warm light and family bonding. Please note that these pictures are straight out of the camera and I have not edited them yet. Even with that being said, I LOVE them!!! It is just what I was envisioning. Once editing is done I think they will be quite ...

Questions Answered, Questions Created

Today was Mark's appointment with the pulmonologist at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I wish I could say that we came away with answers, good or bad, but instead Mark and I just feel confused. We got to the appointment about 15 minutes early which gave us plenty of time to fill out the piles of paperwork. As we were filling out the paperwork we noticed a sign that was posted with the names of each of the doctors and whether each of them were on time or not. According to the sign our doctor was right on time so after finishing the paperwork we sat back expecting that we would get in within a few minutes. Well, a few minutes turned into a half hour, which turned into an hour plus. Finally they called us back to our room and the nurse assured us that the doctor was just writing up a couple prescriptions for the previous patient and then he would be right in. Of course right in meant another 20 minutes or so. The doctor finally came in and proceeded to ask us questions about Ma...

A Story Good Enough for Halloween?

I have a story to tell. I should have told it a month ago in preparation for Halloween but alas, I didn't think to write about it until tonight. So, if you are ready for something spooooky then sit back and enjoy. When I was a little girl living in Northern California my parents chose a house for our family to live in that was, at first inspection, perfect for us. It was a traditional English Tudor style, 2 story house with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a living room, dining room, large pantry, and a large kitchen/eating area. There were large picturesque windows in every room that looked out over the vast undeveloped rolling hills that were right out our back door. The house was surrounded by large oak trees and a quaint brick path that led from the street up to our doorway. Our family was happy there. One bedroom for the girls, one bedroom for the boys, an office for dad, and a large master bedroom for our parents. Everything was perfect except for one major factor. There...