Skip to main content

Going, Going, Gone.


We are nearing the end of summer and with it my freedom. I live for summer. I live for everything that summer stands for. It used to be that I loved the school year. Not too many years ago I actually begged for school to start. Either I have become a better mother and have figured out how to get my kids to get along better or I have become more tolerant of their fighting. Either way I just don't feel motivated anymore for the year to start again.

Really, it isn't the children fighting or the lack there of, it is the looming responsibility that I dread. Now that I have older children there is so much more responsibility than there used to be. So many late nights, so many early mornings, so much stress, and quite a few tears as well. People say that you never stop being a parent. I have thought about that a lot in regards to my life., and I can see the wisdom in what they say. My kids are old enough now that they do their own homework. They rarely need my help but I still stress about them. I still worry about their projects, their grades, their decisions, and their worries.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who was having a hard time with her little ones. She currently only has 2 children ages 1 and 3. I reflected on how quickly that time has gone by for me. It was only yesterday that I only had 2 little ones ages 1 and 3. This time in her life is rough, and at this stage you rarely see the fruits of your labor so to speak. I am now experiencing the beginning of the fruits of my labor. My older children have become beautiful young men and women who I am so often proud of. They work hard to choose integrity and righteousness. I know people (including me) say to appreciate all these moments while your kids are young but the reality is that there are so many hard days when appreciating the moments is harder than it sounds. Trust me though, the day will come when you really will see your hard work manifested in your children's souls.

Comments

moosemark said…
Becky, you have been hard on yourself, as all parents tend to be. But you have done an amazing job. Your example to the kids has inspired them to become who they are today, and who they will become in the future. I am sure you are thinking "But Mark, it is because of you too." Yes, parenting is an equal task. But you have made my job of a parent easier because of who you are. I love you and thank you for the sacrifices you have made in your life for the betterment of our children.
Nielson said…
good advice! I can't wait to see my fruit!!! :) And don't worry--I loved them again when they fell asleep last night...
Momnerd said…
It is true, it seems like this stage where my kids can't hardly do anything for themselves will never end. And I remember when your kids were the same ages as mine. It goes so fast! You are an inspiration to me. I love summer too and don't want it to end!
sinika said…
Becky- I have never seen any kids more respectful, loving, and willing to help out in any way that they can, as yours! I have seen it over and over again. I really look up to your family that way and hope someday, my kids will be like that! You and your Mark are setting a great example by the way you live.

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Family Pictures

We had the funnest silliest adventure today. We decided that since Rachael's braces are off and Mark and I have lost a few pounds that it would be a great time to take our family pictures. I have seen some really cool looking pictures done at the salt flats so we took a drive out there. Yep, 2 hours later, after making a 20 min. past our destination detour, having to stop at the only gas station in the middle of nowhere for a bathroom trip, and just as the sun was going down over the mountain we pulled up. The couch was very quickly unloaded and then in a very hasty 10-15 min. We sat, posed, and pushed the button to take our picture over and over again. It was such a good time with all of us laughing and enjoying every minute of the warm light and family bonding. Please note that these pictures are straight out of the camera and I have not edited them yet. Even with that being said, I LOVE them!!! It is just what I was envisioning. Once editing is done I think they will be quite ...

Questions Answered, Questions Created

Today was Mark's appointment with the pulmonologist at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I wish I could say that we came away with answers, good or bad, but instead Mark and I just feel confused. We got to the appointment about 15 minutes early which gave us plenty of time to fill out the piles of paperwork. As we were filling out the paperwork we noticed a sign that was posted with the names of each of the doctors and whether each of them were on time or not. According to the sign our doctor was right on time so after finishing the paperwork we sat back expecting that we would get in within a few minutes. Well, a few minutes turned into a half hour, which turned into an hour plus. Finally they called us back to our room and the nurse assured us that the doctor was just writing up a couple prescriptions for the previous patient and then he would be right in. Of course right in meant another 20 minutes or so. The doctor finally came in and proceeded to ask us questions about Ma...

A Story Good Enough for Halloween?

I have a story to tell. I should have told it a month ago in preparation for Halloween but alas, I didn't think to write about it until tonight. So, if you are ready for something spooooky then sit back and enjoy. When I was a little girl living in Northern California my parents chose a house for our family to live in that was, at first inspection, perfect for us. It was a traditional English Tudor style, 2 story house with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a living room, dining room, large pantry, and a large kitchen/eating area. There were large picturesque windows in every room that looked out over the vast undeveloped rolling hills that were right out our back door. The house was surrounded by large oak trees and a quaint brick path that led from the street up to our doorway. Our family was happy there. One bedroom for the girls, one bedroom for the boys, an office for dad, and a large master bedroom for our parents. Everything was perfect except for one major factor. There...