Skip to main content

Post Op

Mark is doing really good. Honestly, I can't say that I would be doing as well if I were in his position. He is exhausted and very sore but is getting around the house relatively easily. Luckily he has incredible lower body strength so he is using is legs to do all the work which allows him to move around better.

As far as yesterday goes it was pretty nondescript. We were supposed to be there by 11:15 and of course we were late (Shocker!), luckily not by much though. It didn't really matter that we were a touch late because we still waited almost an hour and a half before he went back for surgery. I went up to the waiting room at that point and read the lesson manual for next Sunday's relief society lesson (which ironically was on the subject of death). I know that sounds a little strange but I desperately pleaded with the Lord for peace for my nerves and I thought there wouldn't be any better way to bring that spirit into my life than to read inspired words of the Lord. It worked. Somebody asked me yesterday how I was during surgery and I told them great. I don't think they believed me but I was being completely honest. I prayed for strength and received it.

After Mark got out of surgery the doctor came in to let me know how every thing had gone and bring me a present. Mark has the sweetest surgeon. Yep, he decided to save one of Mark's gall stones for me. I took one look at the stone and told the doctor that it was the most freakishly gross and yet cool thing I had seen in a while. The gall stone from my best guess measures about 1 inch in diameter and in fact the doctor usually only makes 1/2 inch incisions for the laparoscopic surgery but Mark's stone was so large they had to make one of his holes bigger just to fit the stone through. After Mark was out of post op and they were taking him down to recovery they were supposed to call me. Of course the nurse forgot so I did not get to walk down with him, he was already set up in recovery when I got there. I was hoping that Mark would have some funny crazy things to say as entertainment , after being loopy from the anesthesia, but he was quite coherent when I got down to recovery. Bummer! The part that ended up taking the longest was waiting for Mark to be able to keep his oxygen levels up. As soon as that was taken care of then we were on our way home. We got home about 7 at last night and now Mark is just resting and recuperating.

Comments

Nielson said…
I am so glad to hear that everything went well. What a relief to have that over with! I hope recovery goes quickly and smoothly!
Dione said…
Wow, I didn't know gall stones got so big! I'm glad to hear that everything went well. Tell Mark we're thinking about him and hope he feels better soon.
rachel said…
I am so glad to year that everything is going well. Recovering sucks! But at least the surgery is all over.
Kate said…
I am glad he is home and things are going good. I feel bad we didn't bring you dinner or something! Do you need any help with anything? Please let me know!

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Family Pictures

We had the funnest silliest adventure today. We decided that since Rachael's braces are off and Mark and I have lost a few pounds that it would be a great time to take our family pictures. I have seen some really cool looking pictures done at the salt flats so we took a drive out there. Yep, 2 hours later, after making a 20 min. past our destination detour, having to stop at the only gas station in the middle of nowhere for a bathroom trip, and just as the sun was going down over the mountain we pulled up. The couch was very quickly unloaded and then in a very hasty 10-15 min. We sat, posed, and pushed the button to take our picture over and over again. It was such a good time with all of us laughing and enjoying every minute of the warm light and family bonding. Please note that these pictures are straight out of the camera and I have not edited them yet. Even with that being said, I LOVE them!!! It is just what I was envisioning. Once editing is done I think they will be quite ...

Questions Answered, Questions Created

Today was Mark's appointment with the pulmonologist at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I wish I could say that we came away with answers, good or bad, but instead Mark and I just feel confused. We got to the appointment about 15 minutes early which gave us plenty of time to fill out the piles of paperwork. As we were filling out the paperwork we noticed a sign that was posted with the names of each of the doctors and whether each of them were on time or not. According to the sign our doctor was right on time so after finishing the paperwork we sat back expecting that we would get in within a few minutes. Well, a few minutes turned into a half hour, which turned into an hour plus. Finally they called us back to our room and the nurse assured us that the doctor was just writing up a couple prescriptions for the previous patient and then he would be right in. Of course right in meant another 20 minutes or so. The doctor finally came in and proceeded to ask us questions about Ma...

A Story Good Enough for Halloween?

I have a story to tell. I should have told it a month ago in preparation for Halloween but alas, I didn't think to write about it until tonight. So, if you are ready for something spooooky then sit back and enjoy. When I was a little girl living in Northern California my parents chose a house for our family to live in that was, at first inspection, perfect for us. It was a traditional English Tudor style, 2 story house with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a living room, dining room, large pantry, and a large kitchen/eating area. There were large picturesque windows in every room that looked out over the vast undeveloped rolling hills that were right out our back door. The house was surrounded by large oak trees and a quaint brick path that led from the street up to our doorway. Our family was happy there. One bedroom for the girls, one bedroom for the boys, an office for dad, and a large master bedroom for our parents. Everything was perfect except for one major factor. There...